Mabini Pangasinan is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Pangasinan, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 21,035 people in 4,774 households. The Municipality of Mabini is the only town in the Western Pangasinan area without a coastline, however, some terrains of vanishing streams, limestone hills, caves, sinkholes and pits of unknown depths are found. This terrain is called karst, coined by cave explorers from a region in Slovenia known to have vast fields of such geological features. Karst fields stretches from the boarders of Barangays Barlo and San Pedro going north towards Barangays De Guzman and Tagudin, and goes north east all the way to Barangay Linmansangan in Alaminos. Beneath these uniformly shaped hills are caves, carved out by Mother Nature over millions of years. Some of these famous caves are sto.rosario cave, bual cave, cabalyoriza cave, sinmimbaan and more but the most visited cave in town is the cacupangan cave.

The Origin of Mabini Pangasinan

According to old folks, the municipality of Mabini used to be a part of the Province of Zambales Pangasinan. It was originally called “BALINCAGUIN” that was derived from the Zambal phrase “BALI LAN CAGUIN” which means “ABODE OF BATS”. It is no wonder that this place got its name from the numerous caves wherein these flying mammals used as their natural habitat. Researchers claimed that the municipality was founded in 1610 by the Spanish missionaries who were Augustinian Recollections Fathers, however, there were no official records that show if there were any other religious order who took over the parish until the emergence of Don Isidro Puzon who was believed to be the founder of the municipality.Balincaguin, as per records, began to exist as a town in the year 1800 under the leadership of Don Isidro Puzon. In those days, the head of the town was called “CAPITAN”, which is equivalent to the position of the town mayor today. It had a population then of 770 families, majority of which were Ilocanos who migrated to the municipality to settle permanently due to its fertile soil. These settlers grouped themselves on a plain situated near the mountains and called the site “CONVENTA”. They produced superior quality of rice which was marketed to Manila and even to China. During those days, numerous bats inhabited the town and this drove the people to catch them. The catching of bats continued for many years until finally in 1930, these winged creatures had gone deeper to the forests.

After the Philippines’ declaration of Independence on June 12, 1898, a great surge of nationalism had swept the whole country. The townspeople noted the change and immediately demanded from the town officials a change of name of the town. Names of Filipino great men were submitted to the Municipal Council. The people in the place saw the spirit of idealism and patriotic character of Apolinario Mabini who was then the Chief Advisor of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo.

After a careful evaluation of the individual activities of the Filipino heroes, the local residents decided to change the name of the municipality from Balincaguin to Mabini so that in 1930, the town’s name became Mabini after “THE GREAT SUBLIME PARALYTIC” and “BRAINS OF THE REVOLUTION”. A monument of Apolinario Mabini now stands infront of the Municipal Building.

Mabini Pangasinan is politically subdivided into 16 barangays.

  • • Bacnit

  • • Barlo

  • • Caabiangaan

  • • Cabanaetan

  • • Cabinuangan

  • • Calzada

  • • Caranglaan

  • • De Guzman

  • • Luna

  • • Magalong

  • • Nibaliw

  • • Patar

  • • Poblacion

  • • San Pedro

  • • Tagudin

  • • Villacorta

Special thanks: Rodysseus Reyes , Rawen Balmana and Jerry Rendon of Mabini Pangasinan

Explore the worlds of Cave.

If you want to take challenges of underground exploration, Mabini Pangasinan is the best place for you to visit. Balincaguin Conservancy Team may help you to explore underground beauty of Pangasinan. They can take you to the simple - most extreme caves of Mabini Pangasinan and to the caves of the other town of Pangasinan nearby.

About Balincaguin Conservancy

The original name for the Municiplaity of Mabini, when it was still a part of Zambales, was "Balincaguin" that was derived for the Zambal phrase "Bali lan caguin" meaning "adobe of bats" or "house of bats."

"The purposes of this association shall be the same as those of the National Speleological Society (NSS), Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A., namely, to promote interest in and advance in any and all means the study and science of speleology; the protection of caves and their natural contents; and to promote fellowship among those interested therein, with the additional purpose of organizing like-minded individuals in the Philippines, to better promote the objectives of the NSS."

We envision future generations enjoying the present natural resources.

In line with its purpose, BC's mission is to work in partnership with government and the public to restore, manage, and preserve the natural resources of the Philippines, espcially in Mabini, Pangasinan, for the enjoyment of present and future generations.

Three elements that were borrowed from the Official Seal of the Municipality of Mabini Seal are the mountain, the bat and the river.

Balincaguin Conservancy Team Activities & Adventure

Contacts :
Rizal St.Brgy. Poblacion
Municipality of Mabini



No comments:

Post a Comment